08 December 2010

Gains and Loses

November 5, 2008


My back's to the wake of the ship, roasting. Sitting crosslegged on the wooden deck against the metal railing. Journal in lap. Pen ready. The assignment: write a list of things gained and lost thus far on this journey. Here goes.


Gains: 
friendships, connections
passion for writing things down
a floating home
energy
the notion of self- morally, professionally, humorously
a sense of adventure, and open-mindedness 
travel bug
this could go on for a while...


Loses:
the birth of my nephew
a landmark election (the first time I ever voted was absentee via sea)
football season
the change of seasons
some of my vulnerability
my own reality 
a sense of time 
  

I recommend writing this list whenever you travel, especially on long journeys. Write it at your halfway point like I did, and then rewrite it again when you get home.

1 comment:

  1. I love losing sense of time. Living for just the moment deal.

    ReplyDelete